Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fear

My husband likes to tell me that I "future trip" too much. I am constantly thinking far ahead, down the road and even around the corner sometimes. Sometimes it is too much and I know this. But other times I feel like my future tripping is warranted. My dad always told me, "Failure to plan, is planning to fail." So, I look down the road and I try to plan for what's ahead. You can imagine how well this works with the Army. They never know what they're doing and when they finally make a decision it almost always means Change.

So here's what I'm currently afraid of: Big cuts coming.

The ArmyTimes tells us, "The Army’s total force should be slashed by an additional 30,000 troops, down to 490,000 by 2017. That will bring the Army back to about the same level as 2001." I get it, we're coming out of two wars, it's simple the Army doesn't require as many soldiers anymore. Add onto that the piss poor management of our federal budget (deficit) over the course of a decade and the government is forced to cut their biggest spender- the Department of Defense. And the Army isn't the only one taking the hit everyone is scaling back. So I get it. I'm not without sense.

But can I just say that it sucks. You go out of your way to recruit heros to fight a war on two fronts for a decade and then we're gonna kick em' out. On top of which they probably won't qualify for retirement benefits and we're going to put them out on their asses. Even if they have earned their retirement, haven't you heard we're cutting TriCare and COLA benefits for "working age retirees"(those under 65). So whatever retirement they will have earned they'll be forced to dip into for co-pays and other such medical costs to cover the physical and mental effects of war. Yay. this is a super-duper plan, isn't it?

So, back to my fear. I'm afraid that after 10 years in the Army my husband will be one of the many to go. Where will that leave us? What'll happen next? One thing this Army life has taught me is that we can face anything. We'll deal with whatever hurdles life throws at us. But all the same I'm still fearful.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Your not the only one afraid, this makes me quite nervous as well. I'm trying not to worry to much about something that is still down the road,but we have no desire to get out. My goodness, if it's not stress about deployments, then it's stress about downsizing. I'd like some normal stress-free time please!

Erin said...

I think you shouldn't worry too much about this one. Your hubby is a squared away soldier and hard worker. I think they are going to be weeding out the slackers for awhile to get the size back down. Like people that get demoted. No joke, I met someone who's husband did this. Got demoted not for doing anything illegal, just for sucking at life.

Unknown said...

:( I hear ya...Kind of uncertian times for everyone in the military right now and it's scary...My husband is saying that, probably before he retires if he gets to retire with the Army, that they're wanting to move ALL military to on post housing and stop paying BAH...Not sure how that would pan out but I know they're throwing up new housing like nobodies business...They're really buckling down these days...Gone are the days of talk and no action it seems...

Amanda said...

I think a lot of that is re-enlistments that they will be cutting back on. So I wouldn't worry too much... at least not yet. 2017 is still 5 years off.. who knows what may or may not happen between now and then regarding war and what we need from our military. But I totally get why that stresses you out.