Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Family

I've said here on this blog many times how much I love and appreciate my family; my blood, the family that I was born into. But, the family I've chosen throughout my life is also so important to me. My friends (the good ones, the close ones) are some of my favorite people on the planet. I've learned that you're born into a family, but you also build a family throughout your life.

Lately I've heard how good of a friend that I am. How much members of that family I've spent some time building appreciates my being in their lives and all that I do with them. I don't do things for people out of obligation or because I'm looking to be appreciated. I do things for the people in my life because I can't expect people to be there for me and help me out when I'm in a bind unless I'm as giving with myself and my time. Don't get me wrong I don't just run around like a super hero handing out acts of kindness to strangers on the street.

My point is that I love my friends and I'd do anything for them. I have high expectations for the people in my life but I feel like that's okay because I hold myself to a high standard. Treat others... and all that.

Someone made the observation to me the other day that this "Army Family" is not all it's cracked up to be. I gotta say I agree. I don't know that I've been in a position to really need my Army family members. But really when I've seen people in need of that support, miles from home and their blood family I've seen people be forgotten, left behind and forced to "suck it up"-- as we often are over here in the Army life.

Family is what you make of it. Appreciate what you have and that they will always be there for you no matter what, and looking forward to building your own family- choose wisely.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love this post! And by the way, you are kind of a super hero.

TASS said...

Families are hard work. I sometimes want a day off but then I realize how much I love all of them! I will get you a SUPERSAM cape :)