Saturday, June 25, 2011

On my mind

The last week or so I've had a lot of trouble sleeping. I'm plenty tired, my body is exhausted from all the working that I've been doing (my hands ache also a side effect of this gig) and I'm yawning yet, still I lay down to sleep and nada. Awake.... So I take a sleep aid. Still that takes about an hour. I know what is causing my sleeplessness. My damn mind doesn't know when to shut off. It's a huge aggravation actually. I wish it'd just get on board with the plan (plan=sleepy time)!! Any tricks or tips to offer? I'm open to just about anything. Just for the record, work nights 9-2ish (give or take) which has me up moving about quite a bit, so I'm active (and in theory wearing my body out). I have been reading before bed also, you know to relax and calm my mind. Nada.

Ok, so gimme what you got peeps! I need assistance with the sleeping.

I'm wondering if there is a hormonal tie between mid/late twenties and sleeplessness. My sister has been having the damnedest time sleeping through the night or getting more than 3 straight hours of sleep for about 2 years. Well, I know a portion of that is to blame on her babies. But in fairness even when the kids sleep through the night- she often doesn't.

PS: A good friend was admitted to the hospital tonight. She is only 25 weeks pregnant! That's all I can say for now but Prayers and good juju are needed!!

4 comments:

TASS said...

Not sure about you, but reading doesn't help me sleep at all. All it does it make my mind even more active. I would try a warm bath with lavender and one soft candle. Do not turn on your computer/TV at all when you get home. After your bath drink a glass of cold milk and try to not turn on many lights in the house as possible. Maybe get a night light so when you get home that is on and you can work through the little light it turns on. I know it sounds strange, but try it one night and see how it goes. It works for Matthew and myself also :) Good luck! Love you!!!!

Susan Payton said...

Just bloggging around this afernoon and found your blog. Try listening to an ipod as you are trying to go to sleep. Or just try lying as still as you can and thinking about something that is relaxing to you. I love the little water falls, you know what I mean. I had one that was a tulip and I have one that is a stone wall, the sound of the water is relaxing to me. You have to find out what works for you.
I would also like to invite you to a coupon give a way I am having. I am just learning how to enter them, now I am trying to do one. Do they take coupons in the commissary in Germany. We were stationed at Ramstein once but I don't think I was using coupons at that time. Shame on me.
Good luck wih the sleeping.
Susan
http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I've had the same problem. Try a nice hot cup of sleepy time camomile tea. I do that and it works wonders for me. Or a hot shower before bed.

I used to sing twinkle twinkle little star to myself only because I knew it was going to drive my husband bonkers. :) That also put me to sleep. LOL

Uncork and Unwined said...

I hope your friend is doing well now!

When do you get back to Germany?