Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Story of my life!


As reported this AM I went to Urgent Care (of Base) for my neck issue! Well, come to find out I sprained/strained/pulled in some way my trapezious muscle. Good news huh? Well not so much. This is the biggest motivator for ER visits and most commonly associated with trauma (such as a car accident). Well at least I'm not alone in my "pain". This was not an all together unpleasent experience- Urgent Care. I brought my ipod and watched a movie and just as I set it down to take a nap in comes the Doc. We discussed what was going on and he prescribed me a muscle relaxer (which I can't remember the name of- put will insert later), 800 Mg of Motrin (SHOCKING!), and Vicodin (woohoo) for pain. I was in and out of there in 1 hour and 25 mins!.. success!

Here is where the nonsense started. I headed over to the clinic on Pete to have my scripts filled... Well Pete Clinic doesn't fill written scripts, only the refil pharmacy located in the BX/Commissary does. So I had to journey all the way across the base to the refil pharmacy where I waiting in line behind every elderly person in the county only to be told that TriCare won't fill my specific muscle relaxer and vicodin together?!! Grr... "What, your kidding right?" was my reaction. "So I can either treat the pain or the problem but not both?" The disgruntled Government Employee behind the window replies "I still can't fill it." I thought to myself "that's not helpful at all but F-you." It isn't her fault so I didn't say that- of course. Doesn't make me any less discouraged though... So I filled the muscle relaxer and the motrin (as if I didn't already have that stock-piled in the cabinent)... but wasn't going to wait an hour and a half for it... so here I am at home blogging about it because that will surely effect change in some way right? ha ha All the same I have only about 15 more minutes before I have to go back and pick them up. If the pain doesn't stop within 7-10 days next step is an MRI to determine if there is a disc issue! Fingers crossed!!

OO... almost forgot they gave me a shot in the "back" for pain, but can't remember the name of that either. Starts with a "T"? I don't know about you but I cannot for the life of me figure out why the medical community says the shot is going in your butt and ask you to turn around and drop your pants when they never put the shot in your "cheek"!!! Ps this one actually hurt... =( And I feel no better- no worse.

ALSO! this nice civilian doctor told me that there are at least 3 studies that indicate 800Mg of Motrin 3 times per day is actually more effective and better for you than Vicodin/Muscle relaxer combination... I found this very interesting for 2 reasons:

1) It made me laugh and giggle because it sort of reinforced the Militaries need to prescribe Motrin like it's the only medication on Earth.

2) Again, I laugh and giggle because if this is better (in any way) than the muscle relaxer/Vicodin combination why would he give me all of the above? I found humor in it... But here is how it was rationalized:
Motrin- for inflamation
Vicodin- for pain
Mystery Muscle Relaxer- to 'relax' the muscle and decrease the spasming!

Any who... hope the combo works!

Any one now how much it costs to fill a prescription for Vicodin off post? Maybe I would be better off getting it off the streets...? Totally kidding! =p (off I go, no time to proof-read, sorry for any and all mis-spellings!)

8 comments:

Paula said...

Hope the new combo of pills help..being in pain really sucks! But it does sound like you had quite an adventure
Mom

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh man! Well at least they think they figured it out. Hopefully those meds will kick in and you'll start feeling better!

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

I am glad that at least you are got something for it. And that at least you know what it is. I hope you feel better soon.

lola said...

I hope you feel better soon (and that the combo of drugs kicks in!).

As for my RoadID, it's super comfy! Very lightweight and the band is neoprene so it's flexible :)

Nikki said...

LOL I guess I am behind on your blogs here. It sounds like they figured out what was going on and I hope you start to feel better soon. Keep us posted!

Jon and Steph said...

Well I'm so glad they figured out what the problem is! I hope you start feeling better soon! With the pain meds, it sounds like you won't have any trouble!

Unknown said...

I hear that muscle relaxers are the bomb:p My sister Angel used to have to take them for her rotary cuff in her shoulder...They would make her all silly and like she didn't have a care in the world:p Hope this helps and you get to feeling better!

hmb said...

BAHAHA no no you didn't miss any memo!! ACORN is an extremist organization...in my experience, hardcore democrats are anti-war, yada yada...i assume she will have something to say...we shall see. she might be the nicest person i've ever met. i'm trying not to already hate her but I have zero respect for ACORN. How did you miss out on all this during the election? You must have had a life...