Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm gonna do it!


I was talking with a friend last week and she told me how another friend of hers is currently experiencing something I hope to never experience once I become a parent. They are currently testing their son to see if he has cancer. Her son is only 3 and a half years old. Heartbreaking, I know!
I want to be able to help. To help anyone who could use my help. So, what am I going to do? I am going to register with the National Marrow Donor Program. Here's how I see it: My bone marrow could, possibly save someone that would have otherwise not been saved. It could be a child (your child, my nephew, any child!), or a father, or brother. All I know is that if it were my nephews than I would want EVERYONE to get tested. I would want your help.
Char blogged about her Pay It Forward (marrow donation) process. I found it inspirational. I hope you will as well.

For all of my MilSpouses out there who are interested. You don't have it as easy as our civilian buddies. You can't simply click "Join Now". All DOD civilian employees, Active Duty Militiary, Reservists and their immediate family members are special (duh, as if we didn't already know that!). You can check this list to see if your base/post offers the screening (there are OCONUS locations as well) or you can contact a recruiter at 1-800-Marrow-3 to request the screening Kit. I was SHOCKED that in Colorado Springs with 5 bases, none offered this screening, so I contacted a recruiter. They do prefer to send out large shipments for Donor Drives but they will send out one or two kits. I contacted my FRG and Kevin is spreading the word within his unit to see if we can get anyone else involved.

*fingers crossed*

This was a choice I made all on my own, I was not contacted by the National Marrow Donor Program. I feel it is just an amazing cause which could possibly equate to an amazing-life-altering opportunity to help (possibly save the life of ) another person. No pressure or judgement from me if this isn't for you. :)

4 comments:

Erin said...

I think it is awesome that you are going to do it!

mary said...

This is amazing. I see that there is a place on the MCB here. I am going to check into this too!

ens said...

i do it! its a great cause.. thank you for getting the word out

Rachel said...

thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog the other day :)

I hope your days are as beautiful as you've helped mine become.

-Rachel
xxx