Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jersey Food

As previously reported Kevin and I spent this past weekend in New Jersey with my family. The purpose of this trip was my Grandmothers 75th Birthday. My aunt's and mother have been planning a surprise birthday party for her for months. Fortunately, Kevin and I were able to be there as well. It was touching go last Thursday. But we know how the Army can be... everything is last minute.

All the same, we made it! :) We flew into Philly, since it's closer to where Gramma lives. Aunt Kathy picked up Kevin and I from the airport and we headed to the hotel to pick up Katie and Nathan. Mom, Gramma, my great-Aunt Dolly, and Aunt Marie were all in Atlantic City and were supposed to be meeting us at Seaside Heights {picture above; driving into Seaside}.
Well, I should start by telling everyone my family loves the food in Jersey more than any other aspect of the east coast. So we knew when we started this journey, that food was going to be a huge participant. This was Kevin's first ever visit to Jersey. I know that for some of you this will also be your first trip "down the shore"... brace yourself:

{Nathan loves himself some Kohr's}



{One-of-a-kind: both the SLICE and my hubs}

OK, so we went straight to Seaside... Gramma and everyone else arrived shortly after we did. She was totally surprised to see Kevin and I! It was great. We hung out on the boardwalk for awhile. Can you guess what we did? I had vinegar fries (yummM), some of the family had sausage and pepper sandwiches, the hubs had pizza (obviously), we also consumed copious amounts of ice cream! Sadly no Zeppoles were had! :( That was one things I was excited for Kevin to try that we didn't get around to! Oh well, there's always next time!!!


Good news is that my "other" Aunt Marie (Long story there; but basically she's a friend of the family) brought some of the WORLDS BEST Cannoli's to my Gramma's surprise birthday party!!

~***~
So far we've ingested ice cream, vinegar fries and pizza on the infamous Jersey shore: Seaside Heights. That's not all that was had though. I swear I put on 10 lbs... I feel so weighed down. I digress. Aside from the boardwalk I also introduced Kevin to Jersey bagels (plus) pork roll (equals) YUMMiNessS!!
I think my favorite treat from this trip was Gramma's homemade/handmade pasta! Can I just say OMG!! It was delicious. The food from the surprise party was also amazing. Hmmm, I think that's where I'll stop! I can't post about everything all in one post, of course.
More pictures and stories from Jersey to come. :) Hope everyone had a great weekend!!
~***~
Maybe I'm still on east coast time or maybe it's these strangely vivid dreams I've been having I'm not sure; either way it all comes to the same place I was up at 3 AM. :( I apologize now if this post was incoherent! Kevin is up getting ready for work now. I suppose its time for me to attempt to shut my eyes. I'll never last the rest of the day! :(

4 comments:

Children of the 90s said...

Ooh, that pizza looks amazing! :)

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

That pizza does look great. I am really missing some of the food from back home.

Paula said...

looks like you guys had a good trip

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wow! That is a huge slice of pizza!!!